This article introduces Oura's latest feature, Rest Mode, provides instructions on how to use it, and highlights a few best practices when you find yourself in need of some rest and relaxation.
Rest Mode is available for iOS and Android.
Rest Mode Explained
Rest Mode is a unique mode in the Oura App, designed for days when your body and mind need time to rest. This need for rest may be the result of an illness, an injury, or even jet lag. In general, though, Rest Mode can be used anytime you feel exhausted or overworked.
By using Rest Mode, you’re proactively taking time to recover. For as long as you decide to keep Rest Mode on, your Activity Progress Goal, Activity Score, and all activity-related contributors will be disabled. Your Readiness and Sleep insights will also be adjusted to help you prioritize rest and recovery.
Scenarios Where You Might Use Rest Mode
- Recovering from an illness, such as the flu or common cold
- Recuperating from a physical injury
- Experiencing excess stress or anxiety
- Experiencing joint/muscle pain or body cramps
- Recovering from jet lag
Scenarios Rest Mode Isn't the Best For
- Attempting to detect or cure an illness or health condition
- Taking naps or watching television
- Meditating or practicing mindful breathing
The guidance offered by Rest Mode helps you focus on rest and recovery during times when your body needs it the most—but isn’t designed to cure or treat illnesses or other health conditions.
Start Using Rest Mode
There are two separate options you can use to enable Rest Mode.
Go to the menu in the upper left-hand corner of the Home tab > Go to Rest Mode > Turn on Rest Mode.
Tap the Rest Mode notification card on the Oura Home tab. This card will only appear if your body temperature is elevated to the extent that your body temperature contributor suggests you pay attention. This suggestion might result if your body shows signs that indicate you’re under strain.
You can expect to see the following notification card on the Home tab if your body temperature spikes.
Once you’ve confirmed your intent to enter Rest Mode and added any tags that are relevant to your status, you’ll be taken back to the Home tab. Oura will provide you with another reminder of in-app changes to expect while in Rest Mode once you've returned. At this point, a Rest Mode notification bar will be visible at the bottom of your screen. This will remain until you choose to disable Rest Mode.
Disable Rest Mode
When you're ready to disable Rest Mode, you can either return to the menu to disable it by tapping on Rest Mode , or you can disable it using the notification banner at the bottom of the Home tab.
Keep in mind: if you accidentally enable Rest Mode and then immediately disable it, it will still have an effect on your Oura data. Moving forward, the only way to reverse this effect is by deleting the Rest Mode tag upon disabling Rest Mode. To prevent accidental activation of Rest Mode from having an impact on your Oura data, please follow these steps:
- Go to the menu > Rest Mode > Turn off Rest Mode > Turn off and delete tags
Things to Keep in Mind
- The automatic Rest Mode prompt relies on meaningful increases in body temperature because body temperature is the clearest sign of strain amongst Oura metrics. Multiple factors can cause your body temperature to be elevated such as illness, strain, your sleeping environment, or your menstrual cycle. Please note that Oura takes temperature changes that occur as a result of the natural menstrual cycle into account and, therefore, you will not be mistakenly prompted to turn on Rest Mode due to temperature elevations that result from a menstrual cycle.
- Once you turn Rest Mode off, your Oura App and any insights will gradually return to normal. This means that your Activity Goal, Score, and any activity-related contributors will slowly pick back up, taking into account the time you've spent in Rest Mode. This easing period lasts as long as Rest Mode was on, or a maximum of 7 days.
- Although your Activity Goal, Score, and all activity-related contributors will be paused during Rest Mode, you’ll still be able to view your daily movement, inactive time, total burn, steps, and active calories with walking equivalency.
- Ensure your Oura Ring battery is at least 25% before going to bed. If you fall asleep with insufficient ring battery, you risk missing out on Readiness and Sleep insights while in Rest Mode.
Using Tags While in Rest Mode
A list of suggested tags will appear when you turn Rest Mode on. However, you’ll still be able to select tags from the full list after enabling Rest Mode if none of the suggested options fit your needs.
Rest Mode has its own specific automatic tag that will be shown alongside other tags in Trends. This tag will immediately be triggered once you turn Rest Mode on and cannot be removed. Any additional tags that you select for Rest Mode will appear as usual in Trends.
If you decide to add any optional tags when entering Rest Mode, for each following day you remain in Rest Mode, you’ll be asked if those tags are still applicable or if you’d like to edit them. As your symptoms evolve during your time spent in Rest Mode, this daily check-in makes it easy to track your progress. This prompt is shown below.