Product Safety & Use
This article contains best practices and key information to keep in mind when using your Oura Ring, as well as safety information and product specifications.
• You can wear your Oura Ring 24/7. It's built for all-day comfort.
• You can wear your Oura Ring with other rings, but these may cause unintended scratching or discomfort. We don't recommend wearing other rings below, on top of, or directly next to your Oura Ring for these reasons.
• We recommend wearing your Oura Ring on your non-dominant hand. By doing so, you'll limit friction (and scratches to your ring) with items and surfaces you grab and touch each day.
• The ring is water-resistant up to ~330 ft. (100m).
• If your skin can take the heat or cold, the Oura Ring can too. Hot tubs, saunas, ice baths, and cryotherapy tanks are all safe. Oura’s operating temperature ranges from -(10)°C – 54°C / 14°F – 129°F
• Keep the ring away from small children.
• The inner molding of the ring is non-allergenic and non-metallic.
• Oura employs data encryption, which ensures a secure pairing of your ring and app. Your personal data will be kept fully secure in case an external party happens to get a hold of your ring.
Memory & Battery Capacity
• Your Oura Ring has a memory capacity of up to 6 weeks. This means that your ring can continue to collect data without syncing to your device for up to 6 weeks. This would apply in the case that you wanted to enable Airplane Mode for an extended period of time. Please note however, Airplane Mode can only be enabled for a maximum of 7 days. This is because Airplane Mode is automatically disabled each time your ring is placed back on its charger. Once Airplane Mode is disabled upon this action, a data sync between your ring and app will be initiated upon re-charging. If you'd like to keep Airplane Mode enabled for extended periods of time, you'll still need to charge your ring every few days for optimal battery performance and daily use. Be sure to re-enable Airplane Mode following the completion of charing—instructions on how to do so can be found in this article.
• Battery: rechargeable 15mAh (US6) - 22mAh (US13) Lipo battery, non-replaceable. A fully charged ring will last, on average, 4-7 days.
Care & Maintenance
• If your Oura Ring becomes dirty, you can rinse it with a small amount of mild dish soap and water. Remember to thoroughly dry both your hands and your Oura Ring before placing it back on your finger.
• Hand sanitizer is safe to use with the Oura Ring.
• If you're following more stringent hand washing protocols, you can follow the same steps you would with other jewelry and remove your ring while scrubbing your hands to give the ring a separate cleanse.
• To prevent scratching or other damage, avoid wearing the ring when strength training, working with heavy tools, or carrying heavy objects made of metal, ceramic, or stone. If you want to be extra precautious here, feel free to remove your ring while doing dishes or partaking in other household chores that require ample use of your hands.
• Don't leave the ring exposed to heat for extended periods.
• Don't puncture the Oura Ring or its battery.
In the event your ring gets stuck on your finger, please try the following suggestions.
• Use cold water and a small amount of soap, wet your finger, then slowly twist the ring to remove it.
• Hold your hand up above your heart until your blood pressure lowers, then try to remove the ring.
In case of emergency, cut the ring with a ring cutter from the palm side of the finger—the ring’s thinnest point. This prevents the battery from being cut. Don't cut along the ridge of the Balance model or on the flat plane of the Heritage.
The lithium-ion polymer battery shouldn't have electrolyte flowing, but, in case electrolyte comes in contact with your skin or eyes, flush it out with water and seek immediate medical attention.
Oura services are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or medical condition. The information and guidance provided by Oura's services are intended for informational purposes only and cannot replace the services of medical professionals or physicians. You should always consult a physician if you have any questions regarding medical conditions and/or any changes you intend to make to your sleep or activity based on the information or guidance from Oura. Do not disregard professional medical advice, or delay seeking it because of information received from Oura services.
Oura is not responsible for any health problems that may result from information or guidance you learn about through the Oura services. If you make any changes to your sleep or activity based on the Oura services, you agree that you do so fully at your own risk. If you feel any pain, fatigue, or discomfort as a result of changes in your sleep or activity habits, consult your physician or another medical professional.
Please avoid handling batteries, or working on devices/with machinery that contains batteries while wearing your Oura Ring. In certain cases, where both the cathode and the anode of another battery touch the ring, there is a risk of a short circuit—similar to standard metallic rings. This can result in a potentially dangerous shock. Please take the proper precautions to avoid these situations.
To avoid injury, make sure your ring doesn't get caught on fixed structures or heavy objects.
Information on EMF
The Oura Ring is a Bluetooth Smart®, class 2 device. Bluetooth is only active during a small portion of each day—well below 1%. Data is transmitted continuously when the ring is syncing with the app and during firmware updates. The Bluetooth signal and advertising are turned off when you’re inactive or sleeping.
The limit for Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) for a device like the Oura Ring is 2.0 W/kg for head and body.
The Oura Ring’s SAR level is 0.0003 W/kg. For context, all cell phones sold in the United States tend to have a SAR level at or below 1.6 W/kg.
Proposition 65 Warning
At this time we are not aware of any chemicals in the Oura ring that fall under Proposition 65, but that's not to say this is for certain. The Oura ring has been through various phases of testing and continues to be tested.
In the event that we become aware of chemicals in our ring that fall under Proposition 65, we can disclose that to you. But as stated previously, it is very common for most electronic products to contain one or more chemicals listed under Proposition 65. In an abundance of caution, we inform our customers that the Oura ring may contain these chemicals.
For more information on Proposition 65 chemicals, please visit: https://www.p65warnings.ca.gov/
• Titanium with PVD coating in silver and gold rings.
• Titanium with diamond-like carbon coating (DLC) in all other models.
Charging & Connectivity
• Charging: conductive wireless charging
• Charging time: 20-80 minutes
• Charging temperature: 0°C - 54°C / 32°F – 129°F (room temperature recommended).
• Charger power cord/voltage: USB Type-C connector. USB nominal 5V. (Charger shall be supplied by a power source that shall meet with clause 2.5 of the standard for limited power supply. Charger complies with EN/IEC 60950-1 international safety standard for IT equipment.)
• Width: 7.9mm
• Thickness: 2.55mm—the size of a wedding band
• Weight: 4 - 6 grams (depending on ring size)—lighter than a conventional ring
• Ring firmware updates: automatic firmware updates via Oura app
• The Oura app: available in the App and Google Play Stores
• Connectivity: Bluetooth Low Energy (Bluetooth Smart®)