Use Period Prediction
This article introduces a powerful addition to your suite of Oura features: Period Prediction.
Period Prediction is only available on the Oura Ring Gen3 and for iOS users. Coming soon on Android.
Here’s what we'll cover below:
• What It Is
• What’s Unique About Oura’s Approach?
• How It Works
• How to Get the Most Out of It
• Things to Keep in Mind
What is Period Prediction?
Period Prediction is Oura’s first feature designed for women and all people with a menstrual cycle. By using Period Prediction, you’ll know when your period is about to start so you can plan ahead, be prepared, and optimize your lifestyle accordingly. Period Prediction helps you develop a deeper understanding of your personal menstrual cycle by allowing you to follow along with key changes and trends throughout each cycle (in the form of simple insight messages and visualized data). With Period Prediction, you'll gain insight into your historical data and upcoming monthly prediction via Oura’s calendar view, helping you self-educate on your individual cycle and rhythms over the course of time.
What’s Unique About Oura’s Approach?
Because there are unique changes that occur in body temperature across the menstrual cycle, body temperature is the key biosignal used to accurately track, predict, and visualize your monthly cycle. During the menstrual cycle, body temperature tends to decrease during the first half (i.e., follicular phase). Ovulation, which typically takes place during the midpoint of your cycle and marks the transition from follicular to luteal, causes body temperature to sharply increase. Body temperature will usually remain elevated throughout the second half of the cycle (i.e., luteal phase). During menstruation, or your period, body temperature will decrease because of an estrogen surge that takes place.
Oura’s hardware capabilities enable precise and consistent measurement of body temperature, granting us the opportunity to capture your unique alternating patterns and reflect them back to you. Worn 24/7 on your finger, Oura enables a reliable digital diary for tracking and educating on your personal menstrual cycle patterns. Your Period Predictions from Oura are built from comprehensive data that builds over time, not single intakes.
All bodies are vastly different and menstrual cycles change not only from person to person, but also from cycle to cycle. Women, especially, have many physiological changes that occur in their bodies over the course of a lifetime. Because Oura collects temperature data on a continuous basis, all cycles types—long, short, and highly variable—can be tracked and taken into account when making predictions for one unique person. Our personal body temperature patterns and cycles are intimately linked and highly variable for a reason; they’re tailored down to the individual level, which is why Period Prediction at Oura goes beyond taking the one-size-fits-all approach.
How It Works
Oura predicts your period start date by tracking patterns in your natural body temperature variation over the course of your cycle. Keep in mind, you’ll need at least two months’ worth of consistent temperature data recorded in the Oura app for personal body temperature to be used in predictions. If you’re still in the process of accumulating your 60-day temperature baseline, or if your natural variation can't be detected due to contraceptive use or other hormonal changes, predictions will be based on your last period, cycle length, and regularity.
1. During the process of onboarding to your Oura Ring Generation 3, you’ll see an intro card in your Home tab. Tap anywhere on the intro card, or select ‘Learn more’ to get started.
2. If you choose not to use Period Prediction immediately, you can always get started later via Settings . Tap the menu in the upper-left hand corner of your Home tab > select Settings > Period prediction > Join Beta. From this same view, you can also read more about the Beta program and a few privacy details that apply while helping Oura to further develop this brand-new feature.
1. Once you join in, you’ll be guided through our two-step onboarding flow, followed by a short background questionnaire to help Oura get to know you and your cycle a bit better.
2. All three questions are mandatory. However, your regularity and cycle length can be edited later via Settings , if needed. We’ll ask you to share the following:
• When did your last period start? Give us your best estimate if you can’t recall.
• How regular is your menstrual cycle? For reference, your menstrual cycle begins on the first day of your period and lasts until the day you start your next period, typically 21-35 days.
• On average, how long is your usual cycle? For reference, Oura counts cycle length from the last day of your period to the day before your next period starts.
Once you’ve completed all three questions, tap 'Done'.
Receive your monthly predictions
1. Your Period Prediction will appear as a three-day window on your Oura calendar . To access your Oura calendar, go to your Home tab and select ‘Today’ in light blue, located directly on top of your Readiness insight card.
2. You can scroll up and down through your calendar to see previous and upcoming months.
3. Your three-day prediction window for the upcoming month will be indicated with dotted outlines, while your confirmed start date from the previous month will be indicated with a solid fill. Please note that at this time, Oura is able to provide: cycle history from one month back and cycle prediction for one month in advance via the calendar view, though we hope to expand this range in the future.
4. You’ll receive the following notifications on your Home tab throughout a full cycle to inform you of your upcoming start date and help Oura improve your future predictions. All notifications will appear in the morning in Home , after first opening your app.
• Six-day notice before your window begins.
• One-day notice before your window begins.
• An ask to confirm the start of your period. This will appear on all three days of your window, up until you submit your final confirmation.
A few final things!
1. You can also log your period start date using the + button in the lower right-hand corner of your Home tab. This is helpful in case your period begins outside of Oura’s three-day window. Though we can’t always plan for our body’s spontaneity, keeping track of these irregularities helps Oura get to know you and your cycle tendencies better, allowing your future predictions to improve.
2. After either (1) confirming your Period Prediction notification or (2) manually logging your period using the + button, a card labeled ‘Log period start’ will appear next. Here, you can log your flow level on the day your period starts. Tap ‘Done’ in the upper right-hand corner once you’ve finished. Currently, you can only log flow level for the day your period begins. However, our team is working to improve this functionality so it can be tracked over the course of your period in the future.
• Once your period start is logged, you can view and edit it in Home . It’ll appear under ‘Activities’ as ‘Period start.’ Tap anywhere on the card, or select the → to edit. Please note: the ‘Period start’ tag, automatically added as a result of confirming or manually logging your period, is not the same as the ‘Period’ tag. The ‘Period’ tag, which can be found and added from the Tags list, cannot be used interchangeably with the automatically triggered, ‘Period start’ tag.
Quick Tips: Getting the Most Out of Period Prediction
• Wear your ring on a consistent, 24/7 basis to help build a robust temperature data profile.
• Be sure to confirm the start date of your period each month. If you haven’t yet accumulated at least two months’ worth of temperature data in your Oura app, you must confirm your period start date for each cycle to continue receiving predictions.
• As you continue to accumulate more temperature data by wearing your Oura Ring 24/7, and confirming or logging the exact start date of your period each month, your predictions will become more accurate. With your routine monthly confirmations, Period Predictions made by Oura are estimated to be more than 85% accurate. Over time, this value will only continue to increase.
Things to Keep in Mind
• If you’re currently taking a hormonal contraceptive, please note that because your body’s natural temperature variation is impacted as a result, Oura’s Period Prediction feature may not be able to accurately assess the timing of your period (if you still menstruate under these circumstances). This is because regardless of the hormonal contraceptive being used, your cyclical variations, overall cycle length, and bleeding tendencies are all likely to deviate from your body’s natural patterns under these circumstances.
• Medical factors such as infertility and fertility treatments, endometriosis, pregnancy, breastfeeding, overtraining, weight loss, stress, etc. can also have an impact on the key biosignals used to predict your period by Oura. If one, or any, of these apply to you, please know this may impact Oura’s ability to accurately and consistently predict your period each month.
• Only one period can be logged per calendar month, and data integrations from other period tracking apps such as Apple Health or Clue are not currently available.
• The length of your menstrual flow (i.e., number of bleeding days during your cycle) cannot currently be tracked by this feature. However, we hope to add this type of expansion in our next stages of development.
How to Leave the Beta
You can choose to leave our Period Prediction Beta at any point in time via Settings . Tap the menu in the upper-left hand corner of your Home tab > Select Settings > Period Prediction > Leave Beta. Note that if you leave the Beta, all Period Prediction-related data will be deleted, including your logged period start dates. If you decide to re-join, you’ll need to complete our short background questionnaire again.