Use Automatic Activity Detection
This article introduces Oura's latest feature, Automatic Activity Detection (AAD), describes how to use it, explains its unique advantages, and lists which activities it can track on your behalf.
Automatic Activity Detection is available for iOS only. We hope to introduce this feature to Android users soon.
Automatic Activity Detection Explained
AAD automatically reports all detected physical activity captured by your Oura Ring—suggesting the time, duration, type and intensity of activities you take part in.
With AAD, you have the option to edit or confirm each of the detected activities, ensuring the time, duration, type and intensity are correct—or, you can choose to dismiss activities altogether.
AAD also presents you with helpful guidance on how to best incorporate physical activity into your lifestyle based on your movement patterns, recent trends and current activity goal. A unique characteristic of AAD is that the more this feature gets to know you and your movement tendencies, the more personalized your insights become. In this sense, the more activities you confirm over time, the more actionable guidance you’ll receive from Oura.
No action on your part is required to start or stop tracking. Currently, over 20 unique activity types are detectable with AAD—a wider range than what’s currently offered other wearables. Please check out the full list of activities at the end of this article.
How It Works
As you move around and engage in different physical activities, Oura keeps track. By viewing the movement graph on your Activity tab, you can quickly understand when and how you’ve moved throughout your day.
By identifying unique patterns in your movement over short periods of time, Oura can identify particular activity types, such as cycling, soccer, tennis, or use of an elliptical machine.
Start Using Automatic Activity Detection
There is no action required on your part to start or stop tracking activities with Automatic Activity Detection. Below, we provide step-by-step guidance for how to use AAD to your advantage.
Step 1. Any detected activities will appear in a card at the top of your Home tab when you open your Oura app—including the time, duration, type and intensity of activity.
Step 2. You have the option to edit or confirm each of the detected workouts, ensuring the time, duration, type and intensity are correct—or, you can choose to dismiss them altogether.
If confirmed (including after an edit is complete), the activity will be added to your full list of activities, found on the Home tab beneath your Activity Goal Progress. This same full list of activities is also located on your Activity tab.
The Benefits of Automatic Activity Detection
• Edit or confirm activities from yesterday. Activities detected by your Oura Ring can be edited in the Oura app for a full day after the initial time of detection.
• Activities are never double, or triple counted. If you already track your activities using another device, Oura can identify when the same activity has been detected and will only present one of them in your Oura app. Any activity you’ve manually added in the Oura app will take precedence, followed by workouts imported via Apple Health or Google Fit. If your activity hasn’t already been tracked using one of the methods above, AAD will pick it up—given it’s longer than 10 minutes and is included in our current list of tracked activities located at the end of this article.
• Higher accuracy, that builds with time. Because movement captured by AAD comes from your real-time physical experience, this feature offers a more accurate calculation of calories burned during an activity. As you continue to use AAD and confirm activities, your detected workouts and their details become more precise as your personal movement tendencies add up over time.
• More activities, captured in a shorter time. We can accurately detect over 20 unique activity types (listed below). This list will continue to grow over time. Most other wearables can only detect a small subset of activities. Due to the way Oura captures your daily movement and calculates exertion, AAD is accurate to within one minute.
Things to Keep in Mind
• Activities confirmed by Automatic Activity Detection will be reflected in the current day’s Activity contributors and, potentially, your next day Activity Goal—depending on the type and intensity of your confirmed activity.
• Please note that all movement picked up by your Oura Ring will be shown in your daily movement graph found on the Activity tab—including unconfirmed activities. By editing and confirming activities captured by AAD, you can ensure your activity data accurately reflects your lifestyle.
• Activities shorter than 10 minutes will not be picked up by AAD.
• If you completed an activity and AAD couldn't detect it, please feel free to add it manually using the + icon on the Home tab. All manual activity entries count towards making the detection of your movement more accurate and reflective of you.
• AAD will continue to detect activities even while your Oura Ring is in Airplane Mode. However, your detected activities will not be visible in the Oura app until Airplane Mode is turned off and your data has been synced. If more than two calendar days have passed since you turned on Airplane Mode, only detected activities from the current and previous day will be shown.
Activities AAD Can Detect
The sensitivity with which Oura captures different types of movement is what allows your Oura Ring to track activities that go beyond traditional, step-based workouts.
Our most up-to-date list of activities can be found below.
- • Badminton
- • Basketball
- • Boxing
- • Core training
- • Cross country skiing
- • Cross training
- • Cycling
- • Dance
- • Elliptical
- • Golf
- • High intensity interval training (HIIT)
- • Hiking
- • Hockey
- • Horseback riding
- • Mixed metabolic cardio training
- • Snowboarding
- • Soccer
- • Squash
- • Stair stepper
- • Strength training
- • Swimming
- • Rowing
- • Running
- • Tennis
Keep in mind: this list is separate from our list of 50+ activities one can add manually in the Oura app. To learn how to manually add an activity and explore other activity options available, we suggest checking out this article.