In this article, you’ll find a bit more color on your Oura insight messages (located in your Home tab), and how to get the most out of them for quick daily takeaways.
Oura Insights, 101
You can think of your Oura insight messages as simple guidance. When it comes to navigating, and understanding something as complex as your health, a few actionable tips along the way never hurt. Beyond guidance, your Oura insights are built to uncover hidden gems in your data. This can include everything from notable patterns picked up over the past few days, to a specific trend spotted in your sleep staging or resting heart rate graph, to an unusual cue—signaling something may be deviating from your normal average.
Oura is here to empower you with information and bring awareness to how your choices affect your body and mind. By providing insight messages that uncover key highlights in your data, our intention is for you to make the subsequent decisions that align with your lifestyle and goals. You have the power to make your own choices, and the objective behind these personalized insight messages is to get you one step closer to figuring out your best next move.
Getting the Most Out of Your Oura Insights
1. Head to your Home tab for the most recent snapshots into your Readiness , Sleep , and Activity Goal Progress.
- Note: if it’s currently in the evening hours near your bedtime, your Readiness and Sleep cards will be reordered so your Bedtime Guidance card appears first. Depending on how well your sleep timing falls in alignment with your optimal bedtime window, insights catered to you on this card will vary.
- In addition to Readiness, Sleep, and Activity Goal Progress, Oura supplies you with insights following your confirmation of a detected activity or nap. If you take, and confirm a nap before 6pm on any given day, you’ll see highlights of this additional rest in your Readiness and Sleep insights.
2. Tap on your Readiness , Sleep , Activity Goal Progress, or Bedtime Guidance card to see the entire insight message and its associated graph.
- Equipped with comprehensive details and a unified visual, you’ll have full context to work with—and perhaps a tip or two to aid in any next steps.
3. You can generally think of your Readiness and Sleep insight messages as your “themes of the day”.
- Your Readiness insight is meant to surface a crucial recovery, sleep, or activity metric you can choose to bring into awareness for the day.
- Your Sleep insight is designed to extract a core finding from your overnight contributors and help you reflect on a component of your rest you may want to focus on in the following night.
4. You can think of your Activity Goal Progress as a quick glimpse into how much you’ve moved your body in the current day so far.
- By tapping into your Activity Goal Progress card, you’ll get the full picture of your movement trends over the course of the day, and when you may have been overly sedentary.
What is the crown icon?
On days where your Readiness, Sleep, or Activity Score is 85 or higher, you'll see a crown icon in the following places:
- Near your Readiness, Sleep, or Activity Score on the Home tab
- Beside your score in the Readiness, Sleep, or Activity tab
- Above the corresponding day in the calendar view (accessed by selecting "Today " at the top of the app)
Highlight & Educate, then You Decide
As you begin to tap into and pay closer attention to your daily insight messages, you may discover a pointer or two you want to test for yourself and see what results of it. We encourage you to follow your intuition and put into practice what feels natural.
With each and every day, Oura’s objective is to feature something new for you to bring into focus. These quick insights will highlight a full range of takeaways and overtime, you’ll see everything from: positive remarks on where you’re excelling, to neutral commentary, to areas Oura has identified you may potentially be struggling in.
It’s important to note you can have multiple days in a week with similar scores, yet receive insight messaging that may appear conflicting at first—but this is done with intention. As mentioned above, Oura wants to reveal possibly overlooked and, or vital aspects of your data. This means even those contributors “in the red” that may not necessarily drop your overall score significantly, but can help you spot details potentially affecting your wellbeing and energy levels behind the scenes. This may also mean surfacing a deeper layer of data (i.e., a contributor) you’re excelling in when your overarching score is not as high as what’s normal for you. With hope, this degree of variety will allow you to adopt new angles while interpreting your daily and long-term Oura data.
The Final Take
With all this in mind, we aim to leave you with the following framework to put to use while interpreting these insights on your own terms:
- Focus on the big picture, don’t sweat the small stuff. Looking at your long-term trends is more important than any individual night.
- Good is great—receiving a crown is a sign you’re doing fantastic. Optimal is rare, but if you’re excelling and feeling awesome along the way, we hope you keep it up.
- While comparing your scores with friends and family is a great way to remain motivated in improving sleep, recovery, and movement, we recommend not becoming too involved in this. When it comes to health, everyone is unique—which is why it's essential to discover your own normal ranges and goals.
- Regardless if your feedback from Oura is positive, neutral, or flagging you to pay attention, we encourage you to look inside yourself first and foremost—and most importantly, go live your life as you aspire to.