This article contains answers to frequently asked questions on Moment , Oura's mindfulness and meditation feature.
1. How does Oura measure daytime resting heart rate and heart rate variability?
Oura measures your blood pulse volume via the palmar arteries in your finger. This is done with the use of the PPG sensors found inside your Oura Ring. Using this measurement, Oura can derive your resting heart rate (RHR) and heart rate variability (HRV).
2. Can I move while using Moment?
Measurement accuracy is optimal when you sit or lie still. Moment is designed for tracking on-demand daytime resting heart rate and heart rate variability and requires stillness to obtain the right pulse measurements.
3. Does my ring need to be connected to my app while using Moment?
The ring and app do not need to be connected during your session. To view results from your Moment, please sync the ring and app upon completing your session.
4. Why did I receive an error message?
Receiving an error message after taking a Moment typically means that you may have been moving a little too much. If you'd like, try another session, and do your best to remain still.
5. Will using Moment impact my Readiness, Activity, and Sleep Scores?
Taking a Moment can have a positive impact on your sleep quality and overall well-being. As a result, taking a Moment can positively influence your Sleep, Readiness, and Activity Scores.
6. Why does using Moment impact my battery life more than other features?
Because Moment is a feature that employs media like soundscapes, visuals, audio, etc. and provides you with daytime resting heart rate, heart rate variability, and skin temperature variation, it demands more of your Oura Ring’s battery life.
Keep in mind that using Moment will not negatively impact your battery health. It simply means that you may need to get into a habit of charging your ring a little bit each day to ensure you always have enough battery before going to bed—this way, you’ll never miss out on sleep insights.
Please check out our article on Charging Your Ring & Best Practices for some quick tips on when to charge your ring for optimal daily battery performance.
7. Can I use another audio app while using Moment?
Yes. In the Moment Session Setup view, select an open-ended session and choose 'In Silence' as your soundscape. Launch your Moment session, and then launch your audio app of choice after doing so.
Your Moment session will continue until the time is up, or you choose to end the session early.
8. How can I interpret resting heart rate, heart rate variability, and skin temperature variation values provided from a Moment?
By paying attention to RHR, HRV, and skin temperature variation during a Moment session, you’ll be able to identify how mindfulness practices positively serve your body. Keep an eye out for these patterns to see if you’re heading in a beneficial direction:
• A lowest RHR value that is near or within a few BPM of your lowest nighttime RHR (note: lower RHR values here tend to be favorable—in general)
• An average HRV score that is near or within a few values (milliseconds) of your average nighttime HRV (note: higher HRV values here tend to be favorable)
• Skin temperature variation that is noted as a slight increase (+) from your average
*This may be a sign of parasympathetic nervous system (relaxation response) activation, due to your RHR lowering and your blood vessels opening up as a result. As more blood circulates through your skin, a slight body temperature increase will occur.