Moment is Oura's mindfulness feature. Use it to meditate, practice mindful breathing, or check-in with yourself during a busy day.
No experience with mindfulness is needed to get started with Moment. We offer both guided and unguided sessions, as well as a variety of tailored options to suit your personal needs, preferences, and level of expertise.
To take your Moment, simply tap the plus icon (+) in the lower right-hand corner of the Home tab, and then tap 'Take a moment'.
When to Use Moment
Practicing mindfulness with Moment can be a beneficial habit to build and incorporate into your daily routine. In general, we all can benefit from checking-in with ourselves at some point throughout our days. Whether that be the first thing in the morning upon waking, while feeling overwhelmed at work, or after a long day of meetings. Setting some time aside each day for ourselves can lead to increased happiness and self-awareness.
If you’re looking to manage and, or overcome stress levels, feelings of anxiety, insomnia, restless sleep, frequent nighttime waking, or limited focus/mental clarity, Moment is a wonderful place to start.
Choose Your Moment
With several session options, you have the power to make Moment yours.
1. Presence. Bring your attention to the present moment. Choose from the following:
• Mindful Meditation (10 min).
• 21 Breaths. Encourage your mind to be calm and present with this guided breathing exercise (8 min, 8 sec).
• Mindful Breathing. Connect your mind and body with this 5-minute breathwork session.
• Navigate Stress. Practice mindfulness in challenging moments with this guided meditation (7 min, 40 sec).
• Unguided Session. Choose your own path to the present moment (1 min +).
2. Rest. Give your body and mind time to unwind and relax. Choose from the following:
• Restful Breathing. You’ll be guided through a series of breathing exercises to help you unwind and relax (6 min, 35 sec).
• Breathe to Release. Release tension with this breathing exercise (6 min, 20 sec).
• Counting Breaths. Use this breathing exercise to help focus and relax your mind (7 min, 4 sec).
• Calming Sounds. Choose a soundscape to help you unwind, or have a restful session in silence (1 min +).
3. Body Status. An unguided check-in. See how your body is doing by taking a quick moment to measure your responses. 1 min +.
Guided vs. Unguided Sessions
If you choose Presence or Rest, you have the option to take a Guided or Unguided session.
Guided sessions are accompanied by voice instruction that guides you throughout your Moment. When taking a Guided session, you also have the option to handpick a soundscape or practice in silence. These sessions are great for those who are new to mindfulness and interested in learning more about building their practices. Guided sessions last anywhere from 5-10 minutes, depending on your session of choice.
Unguided sessions come without voice instruction. You have the option to choose your duration for these sessions as well. Unguided sessions also allow you to practice with a soundscape or in silence. These are great for those who have been practicing for some time and know their preferences well. These sessions range from 1 - 60 minutes and include an open-ended option as well.
Our Partners, Aura & Oak
Oura has had the good fortune to partner with two leaders in the mindfulness space. Aura and Oak each bring their own expertise to our Moment feature, and allow you to expand your mindfulness practice using their unique instructors and coaching.
Aura is a mobile application for emotional health that provides personalized audio content from the world’s best coaches & therapists. When taking a Presence session, you can choose from 3 Aura selections—21 Breaths, Mindful Breathing, or Navigating Stress. When taking a Rest session, you can choose from 2 Aura selections—Breathe to Release or Counting Breaths.
Oak helps users decompress by transforming their meditation practices from experiment into habit. When taking a Presence session, you can choose Oak's Mindful Meditation option. When using Rest, you can choose their Restful Breathing session.
What to Expect
Depending on the duration of your session, you can expect to see the following data after you've finished.
• 1-2 minutes: lowest resting heart rate (RHR)
• 3-5 minutes: lowest RHR and average heart rate variability (HRV)
• 5-60 Minutes: full RHR, HRV trends & skin temperature variation
By monitoring these values during a Moment session, you’ll be able to identify how mindfulness practices can positively impact your health. Keep an eye out for these patterns to see if you’re heading in the right direction:
- • A lowest RHR value that is near or within a few BPM of your lowest nighttime RHR
- • An average HRV score that is near or within a few values (milliseconds) of your average nighttime HRV
- • Skin temperature variation that is noted as a slight increase (+) from your average
Things to Keep in Mind
1. Remain still during your Moment to ensure you receive results after your session. Movement may compromise results and, as a result, force you to restart your session.
2. Daytime RHR and HRV will almost always differ from your nighttime averages. This is because your body tends to be more stimulated throughout the day, due to both internal external factors. Nearing your nighttime averages during and immediately after a Moment session is a key sign of relaxation.
3. During Moment, Oura doesn't provide you with absolute skin temperature values. Rather, we focus on providing you with skin temperature variation, which evaluates your skin temperature during a Moment against your average skin temperature (which is monitored 24/7 by Oura). This is designed to encourage you to monitor your trends and observe how engaging in mindfulness can have a positive impact on body temperature regulation by generating a slight increase above your average.