Features of the Oura Ring & App
There are 3 parts to the Oura solution: the Oura ring, the Oura app and Oura on the web. We are always innovating to bring you new features and functionality over time.
What Does Oura Measure?
Oura measure different metrics at night and during the day.
These metrics are recorded only during sleep:
- - Resting heart rate (RHR)
- - Heart rate variability (HRV)
- - Interbeat Interval 5min avg (IBI)
- - Sleep stages (Deep, REM, Light)
- - Sleep timing, duration and quality
- - Respiratory rate, breathing variance
- - Body temperature deviation nightly
These metrics are recorded throughout the day:
- - Movements and daily rhythms
- - Intensity, timing and length of physical activities
- - Inactivity and sedentary time including alerts
Note: Oura does not currently enable the ability to record continuous, on-demand data. RHR trend and HRV trend are available in the Oura app after "Taking a Moment" longer than 3 minutes, but this data is not available for download. A higher level of data granularity is available to approved research partners
What Does The App Show You?
The Oura app works on both iOS and Android. See the latest list of tested devices here. The app shows you insights in 3 categories: Sleep, Readiness, Activity.
- - Automatic sleep tracking
- - Personalized guidance for improving sleep quality and circadian alignment
- - Sleep score and sleep quality breakdown
- - Sleep stages (light, deep, REM)
- - Ideal bedtime guidance
- - Daily readiness score and readiness insights
- - Night-time resting heart rate and heart rate variability trends
- - On-demand resting heart rate and heart rate variability tracking for meditation or breathing exercises with Moment
- - Body temperature deviation based on continuous night-time measurements
- - Night-time average respiratory rate
- - Automatic detection of restful moments, such as naps, during the day
Oura measures your physical activity using an extremely sensitive 3D accelerometer.
- - Personalized daily activity goal based on recovery and readiness to perform
- - Activity score and activity insights
- - Intensity, timing and duration of physical activities
- - Steps and calories
- - Inactivity and sedentary time
- - Inactivity alerts
- - Option to manually log workouts
- - Workout import from Apple Health and Google Fit
- - Long-term sleep, recovery and activity trends
- - Notes and tags
What Technology Is In The Ring?
Oura gives you insights about your sleep, activity, and readiness by listening to your body’s signals with three sensors:
- Infrared photoplethysmography sensors (PPG) for heart rate and respiration
- Negative temperature coefficient (NTC) sensor for body temperature
- 3D accelerometer for movement
Note: The Oura ring doesn't track heart rate during exercise. You can learn more about the sensors here.
The ring itself is:
- - Titanium with scratch resistant coating
- - Non-allergenic, non-metallic, seamless inner molding
- - Ultra light-weight: 4-6 grams (lighter than a conventional ring)
- - Water resistant: 100m / 328ft
- - Has a battery life of up to 1 week
- - Charging times: 20–80 minutes depending on charging frequency
And is capable of collecting, encrypting, storing, and syncing your data:
- - Collects data autonomously: In-ring memory to store data up to 6 weeks
- - Cypress’ PSoC 6® BLE microcontroller (MCU)
- - Connects and syncs to mobile device using Bluetooth Low-Energy Smart
- - Ring Airplane mode